Security lights are extremely important for protecting your outdoor space from intruders. Simply having the light on may definitely deter intruders, and many people use outdoor flood lighting to enhance security. But there is no need to compromise on your energy conservation habits. A very, if not more, sensible approach is to consider a motion detector that turns the light on temporarily when a movement is detected. Fake security cameras and mimicking real-time activity in the house are definitely worth considering too.
Motion sensor security lights
Motion sensor security lights are definitely worth considering. They switch on whenever there is movement in close proximity to your house. Motion sensors have a great chance to scare off intruders since their sudden illumination is more likely to make intruder flee away. Below are some great examples that gained a lot of positive feedback from those who bought them.
- Sunforce 82080 80-LED Solar Motion Light cost only around $40 and are quite bright. There is a very handy extention cord that allows the mounting of the solar panel and the light away from one another. The disadvantage, though, is the fact that the lights can only point straight ahead, and cannot be turned in any other direction.
- URPOWER 8 LED Outdoor Solar Powered, Wireless Waterproof Security Motion Sensor Light(4 Pack) also cost just under $40. They produce bright white light. These can be mounted even in areas that don’t have a direct sun light and will still work perfectly, even in winter times. The downside could be the fact that once the motion sensor is activates, they keep on for only about 30 seconds – some people prefer longer time for them to stay on.
- Mpow Bright LED Solar light, Security Lighting Outdoor Motion Sensor Lighting (4-Pack) cost around $46 and receive positive feedback. However the lights stay on for only about 10-15 seconds, which can be a disadvantage.
- One of the latest type of motion sensor light is Passive Infrared (PIR). Any humans, animals and thrown objects will be picked up by this sensor and the light will switch on.
- Motion sensor flood lights can be a great security lights option if you want to illuminate a larger area or an outdoor field.
Fake Security Cameras
- WALI Bullet Dummy Fake Surveillance Security CCTV Dome Camera Indoor Outdoor can be bought for under $10 and come with very visible red lights and warning security alert sticker. Quite a good real-looking camera if you can’t afford to buy a real one.
- WALI Bullet Dummy Fake Surveillance Security CCTV Dome Camera Indoor Outdoor, 4 Pack look quite real and cost arounf $25. Make sure you hang them far out of reach as they are made of plastic and this can be prtty visible at short distance.
Lights mimicking real-time activity in the house
Some more advanced examples, such as ComfyLight LED lamps memorize the times when light in the house is switched on/off and recreate people’s lighting habits. This is a greate way to simulate your presence in the house while you are away. The lights also turn on and off in response to motion.
Security lights that add to outdoor decor
If you want your security light to add to your outdoor décor and the ambience of your outdoor space, a lantern could be a good choice.